James – Session 7 (James 3:13-18)
What kind of environment fosters spiritual growth? James seeks to help us understand how the environment around us can either hinder our spiritual growth or help it. James 3:13-18 helps us to understand what kind of person is needed to develop spiritual growth.
The Study: Here are some questions to think through as you process this passage for this coming Sunday:
- How does James begin this passage: with a question or a statement? (3:13)
- What is the determining factor for someone who is wise and understanding? (3:13)
- Where does James say bitter jealousy and selfish ambition come from? (3:15)
- What is the result of jealousy and selfish ambition? (3:16)
- How many characteristics are given of wisdom from above? (3:17)
- Which one of those characteristics of wisdom from above is most attractive to you? Why? (3:17)
- What is the ultimate result of the person who seeks righteousness? (3:18)
As the Lord leads, read through James 3. Meditate and reflect on the James 3:13-18 passage. Hide God’s Word in your heart by memorizing James 3:17. Will be looking forward to worshiping with you Sunday.
The Memory Verse: James 3:17, “But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.”
The Passage: James 3:13-18 (ESV)
[3:13] Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.  But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth.  This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic.  For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.  But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.  And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. (ESV)