James 3:13-18 / Our Discernment
What kind of environment fosters spiritual growth? James seeks to help us understand how the environment around us can either hinder our spiritual growth or help it. James 3:13-18 helps us to understand what kind of person is needed to develop spiritual growth.
Here are some questions to ponder as you reflect on the passage this week:
– How does James begin this passage: with a question or a statement? (3:13)
– What is the determining factor for someone who is wise and understanding? (3:13)
– Where does James say bitter jealousy and selfish ambition come from? (3:15)
– What is the result of jealousy and selfish ambition? (3:16)
– How many characteristics are given of wisdom from above? (3:17)
– Which one of those characteristics of wisdom from above is most attractive to you? Why? (3:17)
– What is the ultimate result of the person who seeks righteousness? (3:18)
As the Lord leads, read through James 3. Meditate and reflect on the James 3:13-18 passage. Hide God’s Word in your heart by memorizing James 3:17.